Once we make a commitment to get healthy natural hair by establishing our own hair care routine, majority of us have length retention goal that we want to achieve regardless whether we have curly, kinky or coily hair.
We've seen women switch up from short to medium, shoulder length to extra long, then back to short hair again. Some even went an extra mile by wearing locs! The beauty about it? It's your natural hair, it's ultimately your choice. Whatever makes you feel #NaturallyEmpowered we always say GO. FOR. IT!
On this journey we've noticed many express concerns of their hair not growing, and are usually shock to find out that hair grows. It maybe the regimen that needs to be changed in order to retain that growth.
Here are 6 practical tips for effective hair length retention on natural hair:
- Professional Hair Trim: Many side-eye this suggestion because it seems as if you'll be losing length. In reality, the ends of your hair is the oldest and most fragile, if it's been a while and you're always experiencing breakage or tangling during styling then it's time to check your ends. If your ends are damage the breakage will travel up the hair shaft and continue to break higher unless the damage is removed. Fairy knots, split ends, heat damage it all has to go in order for the healthy parts of your hair to thrive.
- Deep Condition More: Switch out your rinse out conditioners during wash day and deep condition instead. A deep conditioner like our Brahmi Root Hair Masque contains moisturizing ingredients as well as strengthening properties to ensure areas like your ends are protected.
Knotless Box Braids installed using our More Moisture Cream & Hydrating Vitamin Curl Mousse
- Protective Style to Give Your Hair A Break: Opt for protective hairstyles that require low to no manipulation from time to time. They reduce added tension to your hair in the form of detangling and the occasional tugging that may come with styling week after week. You can still care for your hair in the form of misting with a refresher spray like our Hy-Fresh then applying our Stimulating Herbal Oil to lock that moisture in. NOTE: This is an important step to avoid dryness while protective styling.
- Avoid Applying Heat Often: Constant use of heat at high temperatures can lead to permanent damage that can only be corrected by trimming. If you find after applying heat that your curl pattern is much looser or non-existent, this is the reason. Always start on low temperatures in small sections, deep condition first and apply a heat protectant before using heat.
- Protect Your Hair at Night: A satin bonnet or silk pillowcase reduces friction and tangles that can lead to breakage.
- Eat Well: While your natural hair growth rate depends mostly on genetics, retaining your hair length is about your daily activities. Staying hydrated from the inside out, taking daily vitamins, working out and eating your fruits and veggies will always be a huge benefit to your hair and overall health. Get to drinking those yummy fruit-infused waters!
And that's a wrap! We hope these 6 practical tips will effectively help you achieve your healthy hair length retention goal.
#StayHome, stay safe, stay beautiful!
Shop your curly hair care essentials online.